Monday, April 27, 2009

promenade

I haven't updated in a cool one. my bad. Living the life is a full time job. I'm trying to make this internet thing my part time gig...eh, we'll see.

what's in my heart::

Prom. It's prom season. Back in 2005 I thought that the school district had orchestrated this huge plot to get cash from me. That's all it was about in my mind; money. They sold everything to us: senior sweatshirts, senior mugs, blinged out senior tassles. Hell we had to buy our cap and gown. Then, to top it off, there was Prom and Grad Nite and other miscellaneous shit like the senior picnic and the senior breakfast.

*sigh*

anyone that truly knows me knows that I'm a hustla. I've been working since I was 15 and I've never stopped. Most of my jobs required hustle...sales, ect. I was the way I was because nothing was handed to me. I didn't ask my mom or dad for shit. I got it on my own. I had full control. This sort of put me in the mindframe that money is a commodity that one must not squander. So all prom fanfare was lost on me. I found myself asking "why??"

I felt extremely validated when everyone came back from prom saying that the shit was whack and got ruined. Later on down the line I even heard horror stories from my then jumpoff/future husband about going to great lengths to go to prom with someone he didn't even really wanna go with, spending obscene amounts of cash, just to be disappointed because it was a bunch of teenieboppers sweating out their $50 weaves in swapmeet dresses.

Great. I hadn't lost any money, and I for damn sure didn't waste my time. mission accomplished.

But as I grow older, I realize that am not at the point where I'm in an established circle, [ie, I'm not working in a specific industry...I don't have a career yet] so there are less and less excuses to get dressed up. Hell, I'm lucky if I can make it through a week and wear an outfit other than my work uniform and pajamas.

Did I miss out? Probably not. Do I regret not going? Hell no. I don't think I would have appreciated it if I had gone. But I would love to toss on a dress with lots of tulle, some outlandishly high heels, and go and shake my shit with a group of friends now that I CAN appreciate it. So, to all my peeps that read this, I propose a prom of our own, but on some grown up shit! Lets go out, get some drinks, have some fun, and look damn good while doing so!

Now, we always do the most when we hit the club, but we should take it one step further. Take it from club apparel to funky fresh formal.

You down?



No comments:

Post a Comment